A large group of people suffers from the problem of leg cracks, which is a skin problem that results mainly from the loss of skin cells and tissues of their vitality, elasticity, and moisture. In this article, we will discuss these reasons and how to solve the problem using simple and easy recipes to prepare at home.
Causes of leg cracks:
There are several factors that lead to leg cracks, including various environmental factors as well as wrong lifestyle practices such as lack of drinking fluids, especially water, poor diet adopted by people, as well as weather fluctuations, exposure to sunlight, and cold weather which in turn exacerbates the problem. We will summarize here some of these factors for you;
- Dry cold air: Cold air is one of the most harmful factors to the skin, as it leads to its roughness and damage to its cells, so you must commit to moisturizing the legs, and wearing cotton socks in cold weather.
- Hot water: Bathing in hot water leads to the skin losing a large proportion of its natural oils, which leads to dry skin and thus the appearance of leg cracks, so it is preferable to shower with warm or lukewarm water, that is, not much higher than body temperature.
- Poor types of soap: There are many types of traditional soap that dry the skin; As it contains alcohol, fragrances, and artificial dyes which lacks in its composition the necessary moisturizers for the skin, so a good soap should be used and recommended by experts, to maintain a moderate level of moisture and prevent the appearance of cracks in the legs.
- Not drying the legs well: Many people ignore the importance of drying the legs and skin well after taking a shower, and this is one of the bad habits that lead to dry and cracked legs, especially if they are exposed to air immediately afterward.
Diseases that cause cracked legs, including the following:
- Eczema or atopic dermatitis; Where the problem of eczema increases the chance of dry skin.
- Psoriasis; Psoriasis is characterized by dry, scaly skin.
- Diabetes; Diabetes is often associated with dry skin due to poor blood perfusion and high blood sugar.
- Fungal infection.
- Sjögren’s syndrome.
Other health conditions that cause dry skin and leg cracks;
Such as vitamin deficiency, fungal infection, hypothyroidism, pregnancy, and aging.
Recipes to treat leg cracks
The legs are considered one of the areas poor in oil glands, so they are more prone to dryness and cracking, and they must be taken care of, by moisturizing them and applying natural recipes that contain simple materials, are effective in results, and are low in cost:
Olive oil recipe for legs cracks
Olive oil has nourishing properties that provide the chapped leg skin with beneficial nutrients that moisturize it and make it glowing and smooth.
- A tablespoon of olive oil.
- Some clean cotton.
How to prepare:
- Apply olive oil to the cracked skin of the legs, using cotton.
- Gently massage the oil with your fingers in circular motions for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover the cracked leg skin with cotton socks.
- Leave the oil on the skin for one hour.
- Wash the area with water.
- Repeat on a daily basis.
Vaseline and lemon juice recipe
Lemon contains acidic properties that help remove cracked legs, while Vaseline moisturizes dry and cracked skin.
- A teaspoon of Vaseline.
- 4 to 5 drops of fresh lemon juice.
- lukewarm water
How to prepare:
- Soak cracked leg skin in lukewarm water for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix Vaseline with lemon juice.
- Apply to the targeted area of the leg, and rub in gently.
- Cover the skin of the leg with wool socks.
- Leave on the skin for a whole night.
- Wash the skin in the morning of the next day.
- Repeat constantly before going to sleep.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil works as a natural and effective cleanser that removes the leg cracks and makes the skin healthy, soft, and supple. You must make sure that tea tree oil is suitable for the skin to protect it from sensitivity and irritation.
- 5-6 drops of tea tree oil.
- One tablespoon of coconut oil.
How to prepare:
- Mix tea tree oil and coconut oil well.
- Apply the mixture to the cracks in the leg, and massage gently, for a minute or two.
- Cover the area with socks or a piece of cloth.
- Leave the mixture on the skin of the leg overnight.
- Repeat every night before going to sleep.
Apple cider vinegar to moisturize the skin of the legs and remove cracks
Apple cider vinegar contains mild acids that remove and exfoliate dead, damaged, and dry cells from the skin, to get smooth and healthy skin free of cracks.
- One cup of apple cider vinegar.
- Three to four cups of lukewarm water.
How to prepare:
- Soak the leg skin with lukewarm water.
- Add lukewarm apple cider vinegar to the water and mix well.
- Soak the cracked legs again with the vinegar and water mixture.
- Leave the leg and the foot with water and vinegar for 15 minutes, and rub gently.
- Repeat again the next day, to get rid of leg cracks.
Honey recipe for legs cracks
Honey can be used as a great recipe to remove leg cracks quickly; This is because it contains anti-bacterial properties and is an effective natural moisturizer.
- A glass of honey.
- A wide bowl (to soak the legs).
- An appropriate amount of warm water.
How to prepare:
- Bring a large bowl, and pour warm water inside it.
- Mix a cup of honey with warm water, and stir the ingredients well.
- Soak the feet in water for 10-15 minutes and rub the feet gently.
- Repeat the recipe daily, or several times a week.
How to prevent cracked legs?
There are ways to take care of the skin of the leg and prevent it from experiencing the problems of dehydration and cracking, which are among the most common problems.
- Following healthy lifestyle habits and guidelines based on a healthy lifestyle ensures maintaining the health and beauty of the skin and skin in the body. including the legs area, such as drinking large amounts of fluids daily, especially water, where a person must drink about two liters per day, which is equivalent to eight to at least ten cups, in order to ensure the renewal of skin cells, prevent dryness, to maintain its internal moisture, and to avoid direct exposure to sunlight especially in peak hours. also, use the appropriate protective and natural moisturizer necessary for this, and moisturize the skin well on a daily basis in the season winter.
- Avoid excessive showering during the day, as this causes the outer layer of the skin to be removed, as well as the removal of the natural oils of the skin, which are responsible for the internal hydration of the skin, as well as avoiding exposure to water, especially very hot, for a period of more than ten minutes.
- Cream for leg cracks, use the natural products for bathing and skincare, which balances the acidity of the skin in the area of the legs, and completely avoids chemical and aromatic powders that exacerbate the problem.
- Eat useful foods that contain the appropriate nutrients, such as spinach, parsley, and fruits.
- Use natural recipes that moisturize the skin of the legs, such as the recipes mentioned above in this article.
Cracked Heels. Causes And Prevention